Saturday, February 9, 2013

How we spend some of our Saturdays!!

Saturdays. What do some people want to do? Sleep in considering it maybe one of the few days that they can. There are times that I wish that I could sleep as long as I want to and not have to worry about homework or housework. Not always the case with us.

It is Saturday morning at 4:52 am. I am just crawling out of bed to get ready to get my day started. Blake has been up for a little bit so that he can eat some food and get his running clothes on. I wonder why I am getting up so early on a Saturday. I have gotten up before 7 am most days. I just want to sleep. Then I remember. IT IS RACE DAY!!! The ultra race for Holiday Lake 50K starts at 6:30 am and we need to be there by 6 am so that Blake could check in. When I remembered this, I get excited about seeing him run as well as others that I have become friends. I want to be there to support him in his adventures with running ultras.

We make in time for check-in by 6 am. I was able to talk with Alexis, Todd, Chelsie, Cheyenne, and Grattan before the race started. I knew that they would all do great. About 5 to 10 minutes before the start of the race, Blake and Todd make their way out of the dining hall to the starting line. It's time, time to race!! Dr. Horton does one last check-in for people who signed up but had not checked in with him and then a quick prayer before he tells to GO!



Pictures right before the start of the race. I could upload the video of the start for some reason.

The first person that I saw at the very first aid station was Todd. Then I thought where is Alexis. I figure she would be up there with him. A minute or two later, her she comes. Then I saw Blake! Chelsie and Grattan were not to far behind Blake. I made my way to third aid station to meet Blake there. I plenty of time since Dr. Horton did not want anyone to go the second aid station. So while I waited for him, I was able to do some homework. This is the first time that I was able to do some work while crewing someone. I am able to get work done if I am by myself.

While I was waiting for Blake, I saw the leader come and go. I looked at the time and he was doing great. Then I was like where is Frank Gonzalez. About 5 or 6 minutes later, here comes Frank and Sam. (I know of them because of Blake but they may recognize me if I am with Blake). They both looked good. After awhile, I got out of the car and walked to the aid station with what Blake would need and an extra pair of shoes just in case he needed them. Todd asked about Alexis. She was about 11th female overall at this point in the race. Blake made it to the aid station and I handed him some more chomps and gu so that he would have the energy that he needed. He looked good. Then it was off to the half way mark of the day.

Blake was doing well when I saw him at the half way point. He made it there by 2 hours and 35 minutes. I was excited for him. He was doing GREAT!!!Alexis and Chelsie came through a few minutes in front of Blake and of course Todd was in front of those two. I saw Jennifer Captain there at the half-way point since she was going to run with Cheyenne for the second lap. Then I was off again, back to the third aid station to meet Blake there.

Before meeting Blake at the third aid station to give him more chomps and gu, I had a few minutes to spare so I pulled out a textbook and starting reading again. I thought I saw Blake at one point and started to make way quickly down to the aid station but then saw that it was a different person. However, once I saw this person I knew that Todd would not be that far behind which meant that Blake was on his way. When Alexis came through, she was about 9th at this point in the race and looked good. Todd wanted Alexis to chase him, which she did. I meet Blake up the road a bit from the aid station to hand off the items that he requested. After he got more water, he went up the hill to the second/sixth aid station. I told him that I would meet him before the last aid station to see how he was doing.

Blake and Grattan have been switching spots back and forth at this point in the day. At one point, I would see Blake directly in front of Grattan or it would be other way around. Right before the last aid station, Blake was directly in front of Grattan and Alexis was directly in front of Todd. She did what Todd asked and chased him till she passed him. Once I got to the final aid station, Blake took the last few items he needed and gave me his mp3 player. I took left there so that I could meet him at the finish line. On the way back to finish line, I saw Todd with a couple of guys. I was wondering where Alexis was. Once I got closer to the finish line to park, I saw her. She was going to make it under 5 hours!! I was cheering for her in the car!

I talked with Todd and Alexis for a few minutes at the finish line after they finished. They both meet their goal of running the race under 5 hours and Alexis made it in the top 10! Now, I just had to wait and wonder where is Blake. 5 hours came and went. Then 5 hours and 15 minutes came and went. I was getting anxious at this point. I know how hard Blake has been training for this race. 5 hours and 20 minutes came and went. Then I saw Chelsie! I knew that Blake was close to her, which made me excited. Not even a minute after seeing Chelsie, I saw Blake!! He was going to make it! The race clock said 5 hours, 22 minutes and 14 seconds!!! HE DID IT!! BLAKE FINISHED UNDER 5 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES!! I am one very proud wife!


Not sure if this video of Blake finishing will work or not.

So, the race is over and now it is time to chill and talk with friends. After a couple of hours of hanging out at the finish line, we make our way home. We are both tired. It has been a long day. Long naps are a most and then it was time for dinner. Of course, there are a few things that we both wanted so Blake went out to get Sun Chips since Kroger had them on sale while I stayed home and finished an assignment for a class. Then it is possible time for a movie before we both go back to sleep for the night.

I know that this is a long post but hey, it is a day in the life of an ultra runner and his wife. It is what we do. We both run and have stories to share with our family and friends about our adventures running.

Other pictures can be found on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. Great race report from the 'other' side of Ultra Running, the wife/family/crew perspective. I have been there at a race for Todd before looking at the clock getting nervous because I know how badly he wants a time or place and then when you see them you feel so proud. Thanks for the pictures, too, we often seem to forget our camera at home before these events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoyed writing about my experience with crewing Blake and seeing everyone race. I hope that I can write more race reports like this one in the future.

      Delete
  2. Great job capturing the day Kristen. It is a lot of work crewing at an Ultra, you make it sound easy. Thanks for being out there, and let me know if you want me to crew for you next year.

    -Todd

    ReplyDelete