Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Terrapin 50K Race Report

I went into the day with fairly high hopes of possibly getting a PR at Terrapin.  After getting a PR at Holiday Lake by a fairly wide margin I thought beating my 2009 time of 6:23 should be within reach.  I had been sick when I ran it in 2011 so that time I did not think was a good reflection on what I could do.  I was not too sure if I could break under the 6 hour mark, but I thought I would be right around it.

I ate my usual pre-race location at Hibachi Choice and ate mostly chicken and rice.  I did try a different breakfast item for the morning of the race.  I thought it filled me pretty well.  I was sure to have plenty of GU's on me given the lack of having a crew this race since there are only 2 aid stations they would be allowed at.

Kristen and I got to the start in plenty of time.  I had checked in before 6:30 and found some of my friends to chat with before the start.  I talked some to Kevin, Jeff, Grattan, Chelsie, Sam and really quickly before the start I saw Todd and Alexis and got a little conversation in with them.  The race actually started before my watch had actually got a fix on me.  I enjoyed chatting the opening mile some with Grattan and Kevin as Todd started to pull away.  As we started the climb to Camping Gap Kevin and I settled into a pretty similar pace.  The sunrise looked awesome, but we didn't have the elevation to fully enjoy what had to be a spectacular view for anyone at Camping Gap.  After some more climbing I saw Chelsie up ahead and Kevin and I were catching her.  I was a bit surprised given that she was doing the half.  I kept on getting close, but didn't pass her until we were around 3 miles in after the hard right turn switchback.  We actually swapped spots a few times as we came into Camping Gap.  I wished her well as she went to the summit and I went left to head down the hill.  I looked at my watch and had about 52 minutes, which was funny because it was my fastest time in the 50k to here.  I also laughed at the thought of fact Todd had blazed ahead after saying he was going to take the climb easy.  Kevin and fallen a little bit behind me at that point.

As I started down Hunting Creek Rd I was thinking of the waist deep snow drifts that were up here just two weeks ago.  They had now melted just an inch at most in places, but mostly clear.  I was staying in the tire tracks made by cars when I got to snowy spots.  I was going over one of these spots and the ground looked to be clear in the tire track.  I put my left foot down and it sailed out from under me.  I hit the ground with a thud and must have slid down it some too.  I heard someone ask if I was ok.  As I slowly got up I wasn't too sure.  I started to walk to see how I felt.  I quickly knew that this fall was a pretty serious one.  I looked down and saw a fair amount of blood on my shin and knee.  I looked my left arm and saw more blood there.  I just walked until Kevin caught me.  I started to run with him.  I felt a real pain higher up on my leg near my butt and I looked down to see my shorts with a hole torn in them and blood soaking through the shots.  I knew that wasn't a good sign.  I kept talking with Kevin and said I think I had a great shot at best blood with  what I was seeing.

We kept on the downhill and I was trying to take it easy to not kill my legs too early and I was still trying to figure out how serious this injury was too.  After about 3 miles of downhill Grattan came rolling past me.  I wasn't shocked in the least.  I said he was looking good as usual on the downhill.  I was getting a bit bored of the downhill when it leveled out.  I finally got to the aid station and grabbed some chips and filled up the water.  I afterward would question the idea of the chips given they were a bit greasy.  I reached for a GU in my back pocket to discover my fall had exploded a GU.  I pulled it out and ate what I could out of it.  It had some blood on it too...not the best sign.  It wasn't too long until Kevin caught me again.  We kept each other company on the run walk until we saw my mom and dad.  I showed them my injuries and they seemed a bit concerned.  They said Todd came through in 41st and we were about 110.  After heading up the hill I joked with Kevin that I thought they were saying we were slow.

I wasn't too long on the single track before I looked a saw a familiar face coming up fast behind us.  Alexis had caught us and I knew once we saw her that there was no chance of keeping in front of her.  We chatted for a bit as I told her of Todd's good pace and the fall I had.  She went around us and started pulling away.  My stomach had started feeling a bit uneasy after those chips and GU.  Kevin had mentioned he had some toilet paper in his pack that he was willing to give me.  After a little bit I asked if I could have it so we stopped briefly while I got it out and zipped his pack up.  We were going down the narrow section when I heard Andrew and some friends of his coming up from behind.  We chatted a bit in the switchbacks as we came back out onto Hunting Creek Rd.  After a few slices of OJ and topping up the water we all started the long climb back up to Camping Gap.  We did the run walk for while, but Andrew's crew started to put more distance on us.  Kevin and I stayed together with the run walk until we got around a mile to till Camping Gap.  He slowly started to pull away.

I came into Camping Gap and was happy to see some baked potatoes and salt at the aid station.  I got my water filled up and shoved as many potatoes that I could fit in my mouth.  I passed Dr. Horton in his truck who made a comment about my fall as well as my over stuffed mouth.  I tried to respond, but again I was trying to choke down all those potato hunks.  I saw some of the front runners coming back from the WHOR loop.  I was happy to see Jordan Whitlock doing well and wished him well.  I caught glimpses of Kevin ahead at times.  My stomach was getting worse on how it felt.  I knew I would have to stop before too long. A bit before I started the actual loop I stubbed my foot on rock and it sent me to ground for the second time for the day.  Thank the Lord it was at least on the right side and it was a more graceful fall.  It did scratch up my MP3 player and had a button stuck on it so I just took it off and put it in my pocket.  This fall didn't draw any more additional blood.  This was one of my low points.  This fall felt like salt in my wounds honestly and I just wanted to be done at this point.

I started the actual loop part and was half surprised I didn't see Todd because I felt like I was just dragging and figured he might be that far ahead of me.  At one point my stomach gave a final warning shot that caused me to actually walk because there was just no good place to go.  At this point Mike Dunlop caught me and I quickly showed him my wounds.  He didn't have any immediate worries so that was good to hear.  After I made the sharp right to continue the climb I found a somewhat decent spot to use the tree.  I wish there was a faster way, but my shorts were tight so all the GUs wouldn't pull them so I had to untie them.  Kevin's toilet paper was very handy and in a bit I was back on my way.  I was so happy to have my stomach feeling better  I ran a good bit expect for the steeper parts.

I did the punch at the top and headed down.  Around this point I think my watch had 4 hours and I knew a finishing time of near 6 hours was pretty much toast.  I did run back to Camping Gap fairly well I thought.  Topped off the water and stuff my mouth with more potatoes and some orange slices.  I had a decent pace on the way to the summit.  I was holding pace with the two guys around me.  I got to the turn for the summit and saw Kevin coming out.  I told him I wasn't dead just yet.  I think he said he was starting to feel like it.  The punch at the summit was broke and the few there couldn't find it.  The view was very nice as the sun had come out.  It was one of the best race day views I have had from it.  I wanted to stay, but being a race that isn't an option.  I took the steep downhills easy over the snow because I didn't want a third fall.  I got to Fat Man's Misery and very very gently got in.  Given it leans to the left and that side was already beat up and I couldn't let it bear my weight like usual.  The ground seemed extremely slippy as I near fell, but luckily was able to stay vertical and got my bib punched.  I was worried about getting out the other side as my legs were just shot.  I thought I was going to need a push, but had just enough to make it out thankfully.

I then went along the ridge line and I love the view on this part.  You can see a marvelous view on both sides, but the foot is tricky so I could only admire it to a point.  I started the steeper section and left a few faster people by.  I got to the rock garden and very carefully made my way down it.  I was getting close to the out and back to the last aid station when my stomach again demanded my attention.  I couldn't believe it. I had to find a big rock this time and use some leaves.  I saw Kevin come back from the aid station and somewhat jokingly yelled if he had any more toilet paper.  I had hoped to possibly catch Kevin and run the rest in with him, but this pit stop torched that idea.  I finally was able to get going again and ate some oranges at the last aid station and topped off the water.  I hiked to the turn off and say Wade coming down and said Hi to him.  I walked the first climb.  The GU gels had been upsetting my stomach some too and the act of running was starting to upset my stomach too.  I knew this was going to be hard, but I knew I had to run the flats and downhills.

This was a low part even though it was getting close to the finish.  I looked at my watch as I saw 6:07 pass and knew my bet with Chelsie was over.  I looked down later and saw 6:23 and said there went a PR.  I knew all this was going to happen based on my time coming into the last aid station. It still didn't make it any easier.  I saw Cheslie and her dad coming back and I was happy to see a friendly face.  I was soooo happy to hear the roaring water of Reed Creek.  I start across it trying to stay dry and not wash any of my hard earned blood off.  A person was standing across the stream and the voice sounded like Todd, but I didn't remember him wearing that some color of clothing earlier.  As I got across the creek I was sure it was Todd.  He said he had been doing an ice bath in the creek as he was half shivering as he had been there for about 30 minutes.  I jokingly told him he wouldn't have that problem of being cold now if he was slow like me.  He said I looked to have a good shot at best blood.  I told him of my woes of the day.  I heard he had a really great day and so did Alexis.  He said Kevin was running it in with Mike when he saw them.  I was really happy to have Todd keep me company those last little less then two miles.  I looked at my watch again and saw my previous worse time pass...oh well I thought.  I was doing a 9:30 mile pace and given the day I was ok with that.  I just wanted to finish the race.  I saw the finish and Todd peeled off as I entered the wooden gate at the road.  I crossed the line in 6:47:35.  It was five minutes slower than my previous worse finishing time, but after the beating I had take that was fine.  I was happy to see Kristen and my parents along with my other friends at the finish.  I told Clark I wanted to enter my candidacy for Best Blood.  I showed him my arm, my lower leg and I said if those didn't do then the upper leg was the clincher.  I saw it good for the first time and it was a pretty big would and had swelled up pretty badly.

I saw Kevin and congratulated him on his finish.  I talked to Grattan and found out he had a great day too.  He got a solid PR and a sub 6 finish.  I was finally able to wash some of the blood off in the shower there, but a lot of it was pretty well stuck it seemed, but washing some off was nice.  I was able to talk to Mike about bandaging everything up and was happy to get his advice.  I was able to see Jeff Martin finish and Cheyenne a bit later.  I did not stay to the finish to hear if I won Best Blood for sure, but found out later that I did!  I was happy to win something at an ultra.  It was a painful way to win though.  I did get a nice blanket commemorating the beating I received.

Looking back I see a number of things I plan to do differently.  The fall on the ice was a bit of an unforeseen incident so that I cannot do much about.  However, I plan on eating pasta before my next ultra instead of doing Japanese food.  I plan on taking pepto the night before and the morning of the race.  I will be sure to carry tums along with pepto for the race too.  I will try a different breakfast food next time.  I think a bread item is still the way to go.  I am thinking bagels or something along that line.  My stomach tacked on at least 10 minutes it felt like between the two stops.  I know my stomach was no friend of mine for the race and the fall I know beat me up more than I might be able to fully know.  One of these times I pray I will figure out how to put together a solid race on this course.  Prayerfully next year will be a chance to better my time.  At the end of the day I was thankful for the finish because I had times I really didn't want to keep on in the race, but the Lord gave me the strength and stubbornness to keep on going.


Below are the pictures of my wounds after having a shower and the award for Best Blood.

 

 

Blake E.

No comments:

Post a Comment